We all want to get rid of that belly fat. There is no magic wand to make this happen and there is no magic exercise that will instantly give you those flat abs you’ve been craving. It takes a combination of hard work and clean eating. You can do a million sit-ups a day, but if you continue an unhealthy lifestyle you will never see a change! It’s not rocket science… however, we still seem to somehow bargain with ourselves. This bargaining is getting us no where! The truth is you have to alter your lifestyle to promote fat loss from your entire body with a clean diet and a consistent exercise routine. Here is a fool proof list of tips to help you kiss that belly fat GOODBYE!
- Stay away from processed foods – This stuff is just not natural! Literally! Anything that is pumped with chemical additives, high fructose corn syrup and over-processed nastiness… just cannot be good for you. Cut it out! Try and go for ONE ingredient foods. Know what you are putting into your body.
- Diet – No sugar, no carbs, high protein, and loads of veggies. Green veggies, colorful veggies, all veggies! Eat a variety of them to keep your taste buds excited! Don’t just stick to the ones you know. Try new and exotic veggies! You never know, you might find something you truly love! And keep the protein intake high! Protein is lean, fights hunger and keeps you full longer!
- Exercise – You MUST have a consistent exercise program that challenges you. I have always been told to “keep my body guessing.” Don’t just do the same thing every day. Do a variety of exercises each week that fits in cardio as well as full body workouts.
- Sleep – you need it. your body does not work at 100% without it, so make sleep a priority. Period.
- Water – Staying hydrated keeps your metabolism up and it can combat food cravings. Can’t say it enough. Water is the nectar of life! Drink it up sisters!
Summer is coming to a close and many of us are trying to SQUEEZE in a last getaway before it officially comes to a end! Keeping your health and fitness as your number one priority is difficult even under normal circumstances. Throw in a beach, a mountain, a lake, a resort or a just a few days off of work and it can turn into a disaster. Don’t let your vacation turn into a fat trap! Here are a few tips to help you survive vacation without completely undoing all of your hard work!
1. Water – The number one rule of ANY healthy lifestyle is DRINK WATER. It’s a given, but I’ve listed it hear just as a reminder! Obviously those fruity drinks will be tempting and you will (and should) indulge in some of them while relaxing and soaking in the sun. Just try to keep your water intake up! Not only will it help tremendously with your waistline but it will also help ward off an ugly hangover.
2. Get moving – This doesn’t mean you have to spend your entire vacation in a weight room or in a boot camp class! It just means, if you want to hold onto the progress you have already seen, then it is important to stay active while on vacation. There are tons of ways to be active while on vacation. Hikes, bike rides, laps in a pool (or lake, or ocean) to name a few. If you aren’t able to do any of these then try a mini workout in your room! An easy example you can try is
- 20 pushups
- 20 squats
- 20 lunges (each leg)
- 50 crunches
- Rest 30 seconds
- Repeat all 3 times
3. Choose your poison – A vacation is a vacation and it definitely should be enjoyable! However, choose one meal a day to do the indulging and keep the other two meals and snacks as high in protein and veggies. This way you get to taste those yummy things you’ve been craving (and worked hard for) but you don’t fall completely off of the wagon. You keep yourself in check and accountable this way. So if it’s waffles and syrup that you just can’t say no to then go for it! But keep lunch to a salad full of veggies and chicken and dinner as a fresh fish and green side. It’s an easy compromise that allows you to enjoy while not going completely crazy.
Here are 4 easy hacks to cut the FAT!
- Cauliflower – You can substitute almost any carb with cauliflower. Rice, mashed potatoes, french fries, you name it! The next time you have a hankering for one of these high calorie foods, consider trying cauliflower in its place. I’ve blogged a few cauliflower recipes before. Click HERE to get inspired with some yummy and low calorie fat hacking recipes.
- Veggie noodles – I LOVE pasta. I could eat it every single day. However, pasta is not the healthiest option. There are a TON of ways to enjoy noodles that are made from vegetables. From Spaghetti squash to zucchini. The opportunities are endless. I recently purchased a veggie peeler (Find it HERE) that has changed my life and has made it easier for me to enjoy one of my favorite meals (spaghetti) as a healthier and more balanced choice.
- Wrap it up – As in, lettuce wraps! Replace your bread, tortillas and pitas with plain lettuce and instantly cut fat, calories and carbs. This is a no brainer.
- Water – I know, I know. You’ve heard it a million times before. And I have blogged about it too… but really, there is nothing more important than this one. Cut the high calorie beverages and sugary drinks by choosing WATER instead. Add a little lemon, cucumber or berries if you need flavor. Try sparkling water if you want some fizz! Bottom line is your body needs it, so put the soda cans down and pick up a glass of clear water.
Ok beauties. Get to hacking that fat and cutting those calories!
Choosing healthier options may be easier than you think! There are a few small habits that can make a major difference in your diet, calorie intake and overall health. Making these small changes are the healthiest and also the EASIEST way to help jump start weight loss. Small changes can add up to BIG results! The next time you are having a meal, snack or drink, give these a try!
Swap This ——————-> For This
Whole milk Skim Milk
Sugar on your oatmeal or cereal Berries
Salted Nuts Unsalted nuts
Soda Seltzer water
Bagel English muffin
Dressed Salad Dressing on the side
Cream based soup Tomato based or broth based soup
Flour tortillas Corn tortillas
Milk chocolate Dark chocolate
Cheddar cheese Goat cheese
Sandwich with 2 pieces of bread Topless sandwich
White spaghetti pasta Spaghetti Squash
Mashed potatoes Mashed cauliflower
Sour cream Greek Yogurt
Ice Cream Frozen banana
Popsicle Frozen grapes
White rice Brown rice
Sugar Raw honey
Canola oil Extra-virgin olive oil
French fries Baked sweet potato fries
The possibilities are endless, you just have to think about it and make good decisions when it comes to your health. Make your health a priority beauties! You have to take care of that bod.
My husband and I bought a Paleo cookbook not too long ago and one of our FAVORITE recipes was the recipe for the ground beef and spinach muffins. These things are so yummy and the leftovers are super easy to grab and go if you are in a rush and need a quick snack!
3 16-ounce bags frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
3 large eggs
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Defrost the spinach. Remove excess water from the defrosted spinach. You can do this by squeezing the spinach between your colander and another bowl that fits inside the colander. Also you can try squeezing individual handfuls of spinach to try and get the remaining water out. You should have around 4 or 5 cups of spinach when you are done here.
3. Add coconut oil to a large skillet and melt over medium heat. Add the onion into the pan and saute until tender and translucent.
4. Add the meat into the pan. Break up lumps. Add your garlic, salt & pepper. Cook until the meat is browned. Stir in your spinach and make sure it is fully combined with the meat.
Set this aside to cool for about 15 minutes.
5. Whisk the eggs. When the meat & spinach are cool, add the eggs to them and blend well. The best way to get this fully blended is to use your hands.
6. Place muffin papers in a 12-count muffin pan. Pack the meat/spinach mixture into a 1/2 cup measuring cup and transfer it to the muffin pan. Use your hands to pack it down tightly into the pan. It will be slightly mounded on top.
7. Bake for 40 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are lightly browned.